I give you permission to start laughing at me now.
Laughter is often the reaction I get when I tell people that Carly Rae Jepsen’s Emotion is one of my favourite albums of the past decade.
I don’t mind.
There are few albums that bring me such joy as Emotion; even the songs that are decidedly less upbeat are infused with a sense that while things might not be great right now, it’s okay to feel down, to own your emotions, and to be hopeful for better days ahead.
Emotion may not be a perfect album, and to many music connoisseurs, it may not even be a great album. To me, it is exactly the kind of album I love, the kind of album I need.
When the theme of this edition of The Mixtape Concern was announced and I learned that it was “emotion,” my first inclination was to just submit the entire Carly Rae Jepsen album as my playlist. Instead, I decided to make it a bit more challenging.
For this edition of The Mixtape Concern, I’m taking the entire tracklist of Emotion, and I’m finding another song that reminds me of each track. Each song on this playlist reminds me—musically, lyrically, thematically, or in mood—to the corresponding track on Carly Rae Jepsen’s album.
If you’re finished laughing and still willing to trust my musical judgment, give it a listen. I hope you’ll like it.
- I’m A Sucker for Your Love, Teena Marie (Inspired by Run Away With Me)
- Untitled (How Does It Feel), D’Angelo (Inspired by E-mo-tion)
- You’ve Really Got a Hold On Me, The Miracles (Inspired by I Really Like You)
- Baby Love, The Supremes (Inspired by Gimmie Love)
- I Want You, Marvin Gaye (Inspired by All That)
- Nowhere To Run, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas (Inspired by Boy Problems)
- All Night Long, Lionel Richie (Inspired by Making the Most of the Night)
- What Becomes of the Brokenhearted, Jimmy Ruffin (Inspired by Your Type)
- Get Outta My Dreams, Get into My Car, Billy Ocean (Inspired by Let’s Get Lost)
- I Was Made to Love Her, Stevie Wonder (Inspired by LA Hallucinations)
- He’s So Fine, The Chiffons (Inspired by Warm Blood)
- Reach Out, The Four Tops (Inspired by When I Needed You)
- Tainted Love, Gloria Jones (Inspired by Black Heart)
- Come Take Me, Betty Davis (Inspired by I Didn’t Just Come Here to Dance)
- Love Hangover, Diana Ross (Inspired by Favourite Colour)
- 90% Of Me Is You, Gwen McCrae (Inspired by Never Get to Hold You)
- Helpless, Kim Weston (Inspired by Love Again)